python 3 and Unicode line breaking

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Jan 14 17:10:02 EST 2011

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 20:47:35 +0100, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> You would never have reacted this way if the same question had been
> phrased by a regular poster here (let alone on python-dev). Taking cheap
> shots at newcomers is certainly not the best way to welcome them.

You're absolutely correct. Regular posters have demonstrated their
ability to perform the basics -- if you had asked the question, I could
assume that you would have done a google search, because I know you're
not a lazy n00b who expects others to do their work for them. But the
Original Poster has not, as far as I can see, ever posted here before. He
has no prior reputation and gives no detail in his post.

You have focused on my first blunt remark, and ignored the second:

"If you have tried searching, please say so, otherwise most people will
conclude you haven't bothered, and most likely will not bother to reply."

This is good, helpful advice, and far more useful to the OP than just
ignoring his post. You have jumped to his defense (or rather, you have
jumped to criticise me) but I see that you haven't replied to his
question or given him any advice in how to solve his problem. Instead of
encouraging him to ask smarter questions, you encourage the behaviour
that hinders his ability to get help from others.

The only other person I can see who has attempted to actually help the OP
is Stefan Behnel, who tried to get more information about the problem
being solved in order to better answer the question. The OP has, so far
as I can see, not responded, although he has taken the time to write to
me in private to argue further.

--
Steven