Python app dev tools for Gnome?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sat Jan 8 11:35:17 EST 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 16:07 +0000, kj wrote:
> There's a zillion utility apps that I've had kicking around in my
> head for years, but I've never implemented because I absolutely
> hate GUI programming.
> But I'm increasingly impressed by the quality, stability, and sheer
> number, of Gnome apps that I keep coming across that use Python
> under the hood.
> This gives me hope that maybe programming GUI Python apps for Gnome
> these days is no longer the traumatizing experience it used to be
> when I last tried it.
> Can someone recommend some good tools to speed up the development
> of Python apps[1] for Gnome?  E.g. is there anything like Xcode
> for Gnome+Python?

I use Monodevelop for coding in Python, but I'm only writing server-side
Python.  While Monodevelop provides an excellent [possibly the best] Gtk
UI designer I believe that component only works for C#.
<http://monodevelop.com/>

There are a variety of articles on the PyGTK
<http://pygtk.org/articles.html> site;  Glade is the UI designer you
probably want.
<http://www.micahcarrick.com/gtk-glade-tutorial-part-1.html>
<http://www.micahcarrick.com/gtk-glade-tutorial-part-2.html>
<http://www.micahcarrick.com/gtk-glade-tutorial-part-3.html>
<https://pygabriel.wordpress.com/2010/05/24/writing-pygtk-applications-with-style-using-pygtkhelpers/>

I've also found
<http://tadeboro.blogspot.com/2009/04/creatin-gtktreeview-with-glade-3.html> which covers TreeViews which are the most tedious part of Gtk application development.

Note that, technically, Glade is deprecated and replaced with
GtkBuilder.  But I believe the application is still called Glade.

> [1] Needless to say, when I write "apps" I mean full-blown GUI
> apps: windows, menus, events, threads, clickable icon, the whole
> ball of wax.  As opposed to cli apps, panel widgets, etc.

Awesome;  although I've avoided [to do Python's myriad deployment
issues] Python for fat-client apps I'm becoming more and more tempted.