Trying to decide between PHP and Python

Alice Bevan–McGregor alice at gothcandy.com
Wed Jan 5 06:31:03 EST 2011

On 2011-01-04 12:53:02 -0800, Alan Meyer said:

> I confess that I haven't used PHP so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
> [snip]

+1

You're pretty much on the ball with your description.  I might summarize it as:

PHP (PHP: Hypertext Processor) is a templating language with a
significant enough standard library for aspirations of general-purpose
scripting.  Python is a general-purpose scripting language with
numerous templating languages, let alone the terrifyingly large
standard library.  ;)

Yes, PHP has templating language syntaxes like Smarty, but you're
running a template parser within another template parser...

A fairly common sarcastic quote is:

"You aren't a real Python programmer until you write your own
[coroutine framework | web framework | templating language | ...]!"

I've done all three, and this probably does not make me a good person.
;)  The coroutine framework was a hack to see how they work through
experimentation, but I'm quite proud of the web framework and
templating system!  :D

	- Alice.