Trying to decide between PHP and Python

Alan Meyer ameyer2 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 15:53:02 EST 2011

I confess that I haven't used php so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Looking at the history of the two languages, it is my impression that
php originated as a language for web/CGI development which eventually
added features enabling it to be used (sparingly) as a general purpose
language.  Python on the other hand is a general purpose language that
has added features, in the form of library modules, that enable it to be
used as a web/CGI development.

Given these histories, one might ask, do you want to learn a new
language for general purposes including web development, or do you want
to learn a new language that is specifically focused on web/CGI?  If the
later, php will be an excellent choice, if the former, Python.

If you only want to learn one language, or at least only want to learn
one at this time, Python seems like a more useful choice - but only if
you work (or also work) on some applications other than web/CGI.

     Alan