Python comparison matrix

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.com.pl
Mon Jan 3 22:48:21 EST 2011

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Alex Willmer wrote:

> I've created a spreadsheet that compares the built ins, features and
> modules of the CPython releases so far. For instance it shows:
[...]
> I gathered the data from the documentation at python.org. It's work in
> progress so there are plenty of rough edges and holes, but I'd like to
> get your opinions, feedback and suggestions.
> - Would you find such a document useful?

Yes, definitely.  Great idea, thanks for doing this.

> - What format(s) would be most useful to you (e.g. spreadsheet, pdf, web
> page(s), database, wall chart, desktop background)?

I would vote for html/web pages with pdf as an option (i.e. a link), if
you find it easy enough to make. This probably means you would like to
have the source in a form that allows generation of both pages and pdf
without much trouble. In this case, it seems there are more than few
options to choose from.

Perhaps in a form of Python code doing the job, with data in hashtables?
That would be so Pythonish :-).

> - Are there other aspects/pages that you'd like to see included?
> - Do you know of source(s) for which versions of CPython supported which operating systems (e.g. the first and last Python release that works on Windows 98 or Mac OS 9)? The best I've found so far is PEP 11

Nothing comes to my head ATM.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola