do you know what's CGI? (web history personal story)

Xah Lee xahlee at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 16:20:28 EST 2011

some extempore thought.

Do you know what is CGI?

Worked with Mathematica for 5 hours yesterday. Fantastic! This old
hand can still do something! lol. My plane curve packages soon to be
out n am gonna be rich.

...gosh what godly hours i've spend on Mathematica in 1990s. Surprised
to find that i even Unproctected builtin symbols to fix things. (get
rid of asymptotes in ParametricPlot) (Draft notes as i go: Mathematica
Version 3 to Version 7 Conversion Notes)

... i recall, i stopped doing Mathematica in 1998 because it's a
career dead-end as a programing lang, and dived into the utterly
idiotic Perl & unix & mysql world. (See: The Unix Pestilence ◇ Xah
Lee's Computing Experience (Impression Of Lisp from Mathematica).)

Well, dead-end just as Emacs Lisp i'm spending my nights with in the
past 4 years. LOL. And on that note, same thing can be said with
haskell, OCaml.

Though, fringe langs are picking up these days. Remember Python, ruby,
in year 2000? Who'd imagined they'd become mainstream. But it took 10+
years. (See: Language, Purity, Cult, and Deception.)

Also got reminded my age recently. Someone on stackoverflow is asking
about what are those “A:” and “B:” drives on Windows. (anyone heard of
floppy drives?) In another incident, i was chatting to a friend, and
the topic went to internet tech in 1990s, and i was telling him about
how PHP (aka Pretty Home Page) came about, then naturally i discussed
CGI. After a while, i realized, those who are around 20 years old
today were under 10 in the 1990s. They wouldn't know what was CGI, and
no amount of explanation can tell them exactly it was like, because it
has become HISTORY — if you didn't live it, you can't feel it.

http://xahlee.blogspot.com/2011/01/do-you-know-what-is-cgi.html

 Xah ∑ http://xahlee.org/