Python education survey

Eelco hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 07:25:29 EST 2011

On Dec 28, 2:56 am, Rick Johnson <rantingrickjohn... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 27, 3:44 pm, Eelco <hoogendoorn.ee... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Despite the fact that you mis-attributed that quote to me, im going to
> > be a little bit offended in the name of its actual author anyway.
> > Thats a lot of words to waste on your linguistic preferences.
> > Personally, I reserve the right to botch my non-native languages as
> > much as I please.
>
> I hope you're just joking a bit because i have little respect for
> those who refuse to better themselves. If you are learning English as
> a second language then you have a legitimacy excuse, but at some point
> that excuse just becomes a lie. In any case, i apologize for mis-
> quoting you.

Yes, I was joking a bit; I learned my english primarily on programming
boards, and im proud to say it rivals that of a majority of native
speakers (low bar to beat, true). Furthermore, you are free to direct
criticism at my writing or that of anyone else, but I must say I dont
much care to hear it. A language is learned by using it, in reading,
writing or speech; not by grammar nazis, or style nazis for that
matter. Im here to discuss issues related to python, and anyone who
manages to make himself understood is welcome to do so, as far as I am
concerned. Im much more worried whether they have something
interesting to contribute to the actual discussion. Not getting stuck
picking nits, fighting personal feuds or getting dragged into the
swamp by trolls; those are the real challenges, in my opinion.

If you are insistent on bettering yourself; there is half a dozen
other languages we could continue the conversation in. Your marginal
gain per sentence read and written might be much larger there than in
english.