Python education survey

K Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Tue Dec 27 15:39:13 EST 2011

On 12/27/11 10:21 , Rick Johnson wrote:
> On Dec 27, 11:59 am, K Richard Pixley<r... at noir.com>  wrote:
>
>> The problem is that IDLE is hard to set up.  (I've never managed it and
>> I'm a well seasoned veteran).
>
> Can you qualify that statement? Do you mean "difficult to set up on
> certain OS's"? Because for windows there is no difficulty.

The distributed binaries haven't worked when I tried on any version of
linux or macosx that I used.  Attempting to build from source also
failed.  (I'm pretty much an anti-microsoft bigot).

>>   Everyone ends up writing some html
>> eventually, for instance.
>
> most folks write more than just HTML! Ruby, Lisp, Perl, C, Java, etc.

Dedicated computer folks and experimental tinkerers, yes, I concur.

But even casual computer users eventually want to write html, or compose
for a wiki and get annoyed when their 3 hours of work in a web browser
test field are lost because they changed pages.

--rich