Python education survey

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 13:26:23 EST 2011

On 12/27/2011 11:59 AM, K Richard Pixley wrote:
> You'd do better to encourage eclipse, but setting that up isn't
> trivial either.
IIRC, all I had to do to set up PyDev was copy a URL to Eclipse's
"Install New Software" wizard, and have Eclipse download and install it.
Extra steps are needed if a different implementation of Python (e.g.
Jython) is needed, but other than that, the user only needs to specify a
couple options (e.g. Python grammar version) at project creation time.
This assumes that Python is already installed, but why wouldn't it be?

> You could create your own distribution of eclipse, but
> then you have that "only useful for python" problem again.
AFAIK, Eclipse should always be good for Java unless you do some serious
hacking.

> If students are going to go anywhere else after this class, they're
> going to need to either be able to learn to switch editors or find an
> editor they can use more generally.
There are a ton of editors that have syntax highlighting and other
little features for many languages.

--
CPython 3.2.2 | Windows NT 6.1.7601.17640