Anyone still using Python 2.5?

George R. C. Silva georger.silva at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 08:04:13 EST 2011

Em quarta-feira, 21 de dezembro de 2011 08:50:34, Steven D'Aprano
escreveu:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:15:46 +0000, Chris Withers wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> What's the general consensus on supporting Python 2.5 nowadays?
>>
>> Do people still have to use this in commercial environments or is
>> everyone on 2.6+ nowadays?
>
> Centos and Red Hat production systems still use Python 2.4, so yes,
> absolutely, 2.5 and 2.4 still need to be supported.
>
> Not necessarily by package authors though -- that's a matter for them to
> decide. I'm presently writing a small library which will support 2.4
> through 3.2, which isn't as hard as it sounds like, but still isn't
> exactly fun. If the project were much bigger, I'd drop support for 2.4
> and only support 2.5. At least then I could use conditional expressions
> and __future__ imports.
>

>> I'm finally getting some continuous integration set up for my packages
>> and it's highlighting some 2.5 compatibility issues. I'm wondering
>> whether to fix those (lots of ugly "from __future__ import
>> with_statement" everywhere) or just to drop Python 2.5 support.
>>
>> What do people feel?
>
> It really depends on *your* users, not arbitrary developers. How many of
> your users are using 2.5?

There are still people on 2.5. ESRIs customers (www.esri.com) that rely
heavily on Python 2.5, because it ships with a popular ArcGIS release
(9.31). The new ArcGIS release uses 2.6, but I can see 9.31 lurking
around for another year, at least.

Cheers.