Anyone still using Python 2.5?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Dec 21 05:50:34 EST 2011

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:15:46 +0000, Chris Withers wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> What's the general consensus on supporting Python 2.5 nowadays?
>
> Do people still have to use this in commercial environments or is
> everyone on 2.6+ nowadays?

Centos and Red Hat production systems still use Python 2.4, so yes,
absolutely, 2.5 and 2.4 still need to be supported.

Not necessarily by package authors though -- that's a matter for them to
decide. I'm presently writing a small library which will support 2.4
through 3.2, which isn't as hard as it sounds like, but still isn't
exactly fun. If the project were much bigger, I'd drop support for 2.4
and only support 2.5. At least then I could use conditional expressions
and __future__ imports.

> I'm finally getting some continuous integration set up for my packages
> and it's highlighting some 2.5 compatibility issues. I'm wondering
> whether to fix those (lots of ugly "from __future__ import
> with_statement" everywhere) or just to drop Python 2.5 support.
>
> What do people feel?

It really depends on *your* users, not arbitrary developers. How many of
your users are using 2.5?

--
Steven