Learning Python 2.4

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 19:31:42 EST 2011

On Dec 20, 12:31 pm, kimma <kimm... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am about to learn python with "how to think like a computer
> scientist". This book is just available for python 2.4. Does it matter
> for programming?
>
> Greetz

Kimma, don't listen to either of these guys. Anything before Python
3.0 is now obsolete. We are currently at 3.2.2 for a stable release.
If a tutorial writer is too lazy to update his tutorial to AT LEAST
Python 3.0, THEN he is a fool and should be banished from not only
this community, but from the Internets also.

The ONLY reason to use any Python version LESS than Python 3.0 is if
you have NO OTHER CHOICE! You don't have that problem kimma because
you are new to Python. You have a choice. And the choice should be the
MOST CURRENT VERSION OF PYTHON.

If, at a later time, you find that you need to use some module that is
not 3.0 compliant, then by all means download the appropriate
interpreter. BUT DON"T WRITE CODE THAT IS NOT 3.0 COMPLIANT UNLESS YOU
HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE!!!

Don't be a part of slowing the transition that is happening with
Python. We need to look forward and forget about the past. The past is
old and dumpy, however, the future is bright!

Good luck!