Learning Python 2.4

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Dec 20 15:21:03 EST 2011

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 19:31:56 +0100, kimma wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am about to learn python with "how to think like a computer
> scientist". This book is just available for python 2.4. Does it matter
> for programming?

Python 2.4 is pretty old, and missing a lot of really cool features that
came out in 2.5 and above. Having tried to support 2.4 through 2.7 in one
code base, I can tell you that the features missing from 2.4 really hurt.

But for just learning the language basics, 2.4 should be fine.

Just make sure you use one of the 2.x series Pythons (that is, 2.4 up to
2.7) and NOT Python 3. Python 3 intentionally breaks some backwards
compatibility in ways that will confuse a beginner to the language unless
you learn from a book designed for Python 3.

--
Steven