[Python-ideas] allow line break at operators

Bruce Leban bruce at leapyear.org
Thu Aug 11 17:21:53 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Devin Jeanpierre <jeanpierreda at gmail.com>wrote:

> Eek no. If I was suggesting anything, it would have been a third form
> of continuation: collapsing subsequent extra-indented lines. This is
> never ambiguous. (This could be done in such a way as to permit
> comments, namely, by doing it to the tokenstream rather than to the
> actual text)

So if I miss-indent this

a = b
  (x, y) = z

instead of getting "unexpected indent" I get "SyntaxError: can't assign to
function call". I'm sure someone can come up with two valid statements that
have a different meaning when spliced together.

--- Bruce
Follow me: http://www.twitter.com/Vroo http://www.vroospeak.com