Hardlink sub-directories and files

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 17:25:41 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Thomas Jollans <t at jollybox.de> wrote:

> > Interesting.  Of course, it's probably readily available to you.  What
> > *ix are you seeing that doesn't include cpio by default?
>
> Arch Linux - the base install is quite minimal. I just discovered that I
> have a program called bsdcpio which is used by mkinitcpio (and possibly
> other system scripts); no need for the GNU cpio. Curious.

I guess that makes some sense.  If you want to really strip down an install,
removing cpio is a good candidate since it duplicates what's in tar, and tar
is more popular - especially for interactive use.

>     Which implementations of cp don't implement -R and -l?
>

> Probably most of them, except GNU and newer BSD.

Okay. While GNU libc manuals usually document how portable functions are
> in detail, that's not true for the GNU coreutils manuals.

I don't think cpio is in GNU coreutils.  Also, I think GNU cpio is a
reimplementation, not the original.

cpio's been around since PWB/Unix, which sits between 6th Edition Unix and
7th Edition.  It should be in just about everything, unless a
vendor/distributor got pretty zealous about cutting duplicate utilities.