Hardlink sub-directories and files

Thomas Jollans t at jollybox.de
Wed Aug 3 14:49:22 EDT 2011

On 03/08/11 18:29, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Thomas Jollans <t at jollybox.de
> <mailto:t at jollybox.de>> wrote:
>
>     Is it more portable? I don't actually have cpio installed on this
>     system.
>

> Interesting.  Of course, it's probably readily available to you.  What
> *ix are you seeing that doesn't include cpio by default?

Arch Linux - the base install is quite minimal. I just discovered that I
have a program called bsdcpio which is used by mkinitcpio (and possibly
other system scripts); no need for the GNU cpio. Curious.

>     Which implementations of cp don't implement -R and -l?
>

> Probably most of them, except GNU and newer BSD.

Okay. While GNU libc manuals usually document how portable functions are
in detail, that's not true for the GNU coreutils manuals.

Thomas