python reading file memory cost

Thomas Jollans t at jollybox.de
Tue Aug 2 07:09:57 EDT 2011

On 02/08/11 13:00, 张彤 wrote:
> Thanks Peter! Your explanation is great!
> And one more question:
> Why it is still keeping the memory even when I del the large array in
> interactive python mode?

This is an optimisation of the way the Python interpreter allocates
memory: it holds on to memory it's not using any more for a while so it
can be easily re-used for new objects --- this is more efficient than
giving the memory back to the operating system only to request it again
shortly afterwards.