[ANN] IPython 0.11 is officially out

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Mon Aug 1 08:54:36 EDT 2011

* Fernando Perez (Sun, 31 Jul 2011 17:26:50 +0000 (UTC))
> on behalf of the IPython development team, I'm thrilled to announce,
> after more than two years of development work, the official release of
> IPython 0.11.
>
> This release brings a long list of improvements and new features
> (along with hopefully few new bugs). We have completely refactored
> IPython, making it a much more friendly project to participate in by
> having better separated and organized internals. We hope you will not
> only use the new tools and libraries, but also join us with new ideas
> and development.
> [...]
> Here is a quick listing of the major new features:
> [...]
> - New configuration system
> [...]

And the best thing is: IPython 0.11 is not compatible to 0.10 so if you
had your own customized ipythonrc you can start from scratch.

The documentation[1] says "If you are upgrading to version 0.11 of
IPython, you will need to migrate your old ipythonrc or ipy_user_conf.py
configuration files to the new system. Read on for information on how to
do this." Unfortunately there is no more mentioning of "migration", so
the developers' approach seems to be: "read all about the new
configuration system and see if you can somehow duplicate your old
ipythonrc settings. Good luck!".

By the way: "configuration object", "applications", "configurables",
"singletons", ... Am I really supposed to understand all this?

Thorsten
[1] http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/config/overview.html