IDLE lost from Windows menu !

Uncle Ben ben at greenba.com
Thu Apr 28 21:26:37 EDT 2011

On Apr 28, 5:17 pm, Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011.04.28 02:11 PM, Uncle Ben wrote:> It was suggested to me privately that I search for
> > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell,
> > right_click on "shell",
> > create a new key called "EDIT with IDLE"
> > and another called "command python.exe %1"
>
> The key you're looking for is HKCR\Python.File\shell. Add a subkey
> called Edit with IDLE. Create a subkey in there called command. Inside
> HKCR\Python.File\shell\Edit with IDLE\command, modify the default value
> to "C:\Python32\pythonw.exe" "C:\Python32\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw" -e "%1"
> (changing the paths if necessary). Do the same with
> HKCR\Python.NoConFile\shell to get the command for .pyw files.

Thanks to all for good help.  I finally got what I need by altering
the original advice (A.T.) slightly.

The key to edit was "HKCR/Applications/python.exe/shell",
the item is put into the menu in a sub-key labelled "Edit with IDLE",
and the command sub-sub-key that works for me is "idle.bat %1"

I will keep Andrew Berg's note and use it when I encounter .pyw
files.

Python's the ninth language I've had to learn. And I love it.

Uncle Ben