IDLE lost from Windows menu !

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Apr 28 17:20:17 EDT 2011

On 4/28/2011 12:28 PM, Uncle Ben wrote:
> I have lost the convenient feature that to edit a .py file I could
> right-click on the file name and reach the menu item "Edit with IDLE".
>
> The workaround is not hard, but it wouild be nice to get this feature
> back.
>
> It happened when I was mungeing around and downloaded Python 2.3.3 in
> addition to Python 2.71, and got into trojuble uintil I discovered
> that I was involuntarily RUNNING the older version.  So I cleaned it
> out, but still I have this aftermath.
>
> Is there a Windows guru out there who can tell be how to add to the
> right-click menu clicking on myfile.py?

In Window98, one could get from Explorer Window to a file-associations
dialog/window/tool that would let you change/add 'open', 'open with x',
'run', for a particular file type without using the registry editor,
which is slightly dangerous. I have forgotten how to find it in xp, and
no idea in w7. I would look in windows help and or control panel.

--
Terry Jan Reedy