Python IDE/text-editor

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 12:30:58 EDT 2011

On Apr 16, 9:13 pm, Chris Angelico <ros... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Based on the comments here, it seems that emacs would have to be the
> editor-in-chief for programmers. I currently use SciTE at work; is it
> reasonable to, effectively, bill my employer for the time it'll take
> me to learn emacs?

It takes a day or two to learn emacs.

It takes forever to set it up.

[How many shots of cocaine are are needed to de-addict a cocaine
addict? ]

> I'm using a lot of the same features that the OP
> was requesting (multiple files open at once, etc), plus I like syntax
> highlighting (multiple languages necessary - I'm often developing
> simultaneously in C++, Pike, PHP, and gnu make, as well as Python).
>
> My current "main editors" are SciTE when I have a GUI, and nano when I
> don't (over ssh and such). Mastering emacs would definitely take time;
> I'm not really sure if I can justify it ("Chris, what did you achieve
> this week?" "I learned how to get emacs to make coffee.")...
>
> Chris Angelico

:-)

You are being cute and tart.

But the problem is real:
1. emacs can do everything
2. It does everything badly
3. All the competition does it worse

Frankly Ive thought many times of switching to eclipse but the first
few screens send a chill (or something such) down my spine and I limp
back unhappily to emacs...