Python IDE/text-editor

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sat Apr 16 07:35:47 EDT 2011

On 04/16/2011 02:17 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Emacs can run Python in a buffer, and has “tabbar-mode” to
> display a row of tabs
>
> Likely the same features are available in Vim, by I've never
> used Vim for lots of Python coding.

Vim since v7 has offered tabs, though I personally stick mostly
to split-panes ("windows" in vim parlance).

   :help tab-page

The GUI version (gvim) offers mouse support; the console version
supports the mouse as well, but may be a bit more fiddly as
mouse/console interactions often are.

   :help mouse-using

As for running a python shell within Vim, the idea of an embedded
pseudo-tty (so that means an embedded console, python shell, or
just running any other console program) has been pretty
resolutely rejected by the maintainers.  I think there's an
unofficial patch[1] to add the support, but most folks just bring
up a second console/terminal and run things there.  For me, it's
either using "screen" or just another xterm/rxvt window.

   :help shell-window

That said, Vim does have Python scripting capabilities as well,
so you can control vim with Python code

   :help python

and Vim can evaluate python if it was built as such (check the
output of ":version" for "+python").  Additionally, you can
always run your Vim script and pull the output into a buffer
somewhere:

   :r !my_script.py
   :r !python my_script.py

(form dependent on whether your script is marked executable)

To the OP, try both Vim & Emacs and see which fits your head
better.  They're both great editors and will provide a lifetime
of returns on the time invested learning them.  Vim fits me
better; Emacs seems to better fit several of the other folks on
the list who responded.

-tkc

[1]
http://www.wana.at/vimshell/