Python IDE/text-editor

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Apr 16 03:17:50 EDT 2011

Alec Taylor <alec.taylor6 at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks

(Please don't top-post. Instead, follow the normal ordering of a
conversation in text: reply in-line to the parts you're responding to,
and trim the parts you're not responding to.)

> but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
> interpreter AND tabs...

Emacs can run Python in a buffer, and has “tabbar-mode” to display a row
of tabs <URL:http://amitp.blogspot.com/2007/04/emacs-buffer-tabs.html>.

Likely the same features are available in Vim, by I've never used Vim
for lots of Python coding.

> (also, selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).

Both Emacs and Vim support selecting with the mouse just fine.

> Please continue your recommendations.

Learn a standard mature portable free-software editor – either Emacs or
Vim – and thereby never be without a powerful programming environment
again throughout your career.

--
 \      “Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity |
  `\        of the graveyard.” —Justice Roberts in 319 U.S. 624 (1943) |