PYTHONPATH

jmfauth wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 06:03:22 EDT 2011

On 16 avr, 06:16, harrismh777 <harrismh... at charter.net> wrote:

> By default the sys.path always shows the directory python was opened in,
> usually the users home directory. With  .profile  you can set the path
> any way you want... most useful for setting up special test directories
> ahead of the "real" code, or for setting up separate directories for
> versions--- one for Python26, Python27, and of course Python32.
>
> (there are other ways of accomplishing the same thing, and of course,
> this one only really works with *nix systems--- windows is another mess
> entirely)

I belong to those who are very happy with the Python
installations on Windows platform (thanks MvL, this should
be said) and I hope it will continue like this.

I do not see any mess here. Every Python version lives in
its own isolated directory, including \site-packages.
That means I can keep, eg, a Python 2.5 application (*) which
is using PIL, wxPython and numpy in a running state, while
developping new applications with other Python versions or
porting that application (*) to another Python version. And
that on all Windows versions (Win2K, XP, Vista, Win7) modulo
the underlaying os-libs compatibility, but that's the same
problem on all os, especially for the GUI libs.

I'm using Python since ver 1.5.6 and I never set any
PYTHONPATH environment variable.

A final word about sys.path. This is is my mind the
most clever idea of Python. I have the feeling, no
offense here, you are not understanding it very well.
The sys.path is some kind of *dynamic* environment
variable and has basically or primarily nothing to do
with a user directory.

jmf