PYTHONPATH

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Sat Apr 16 03:28:14 EDT 2011

On Saturday 16 April 2011 14:16:59 harrismh777 wrote:
> Algis Kabaila wrote:
> > Is PYTHONPATH a system variable that sets the
> > path for several sessions and if so, where in the system is
> > it? Do I need to create one for setting python path for
> > several sessions?
>
>snip...
> Of course this only works if the Python folder exists in the
> users ~/ directory tree (or elsewhere, if you code it that
> way).
>
> By default the sys.path always shows the directory python was
> opened in, usually the users home directory. With  .profile
> you can set the path any way you want... most useful for
> setting up special test directories ahead of the "real"
> code, or for setting up separate directories for versions---
> one for Python26, Python27, and of course Python32.
>

> (there are other ways of accomplishing the same thing, and of
> course, this one only really works with *nix systems---
> windows is another mess entirely)
>
> kind regards,
> m harris

My apologies for not stating that I do use a "nix" system -
kubuntu 10.10. I switche to ubuntu/kubuntu from suse some time
ago. Suse had by default a ~/bin directory.  On ubuntu/kubuntu
the user needs to create it.

Thank you for your contribution - you adressed exactly the issue
that I wanted to take care of - testing different systems (PyQt
v. PySide, Python 2.7 v Python 3.2 etc.)

It is a significant help!

Sorry I can not address you by name, as your signature is
suggestive that it may start with M and that Harris is your
surname (or pseudo name).  You have been most helpful!

OldAl.

--
Algis
http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/StructuralAnalysis.pdf