Egos, heartlessness, and limitations

Ryan Kelly ryan at rfk.id.au
Wed Apr 13 23:01:41 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 19:10 -0700, rantingrick wrote:
> On Apr 13, 8:29 pm, Ryan Kelly <r... at rfk.id.au> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 17:39 -0700, rantingrick wrote:
>
> I would LOVE to improve the doc, however first the student THEN the
> teacher. However in this forsaken land the "teachers" do not exist. We
> are cast off from the elites and left to wither, wandering in dark
> catacombs of source code with many doors but no keys to unlock them.
>
>  [..snip..]
>
> The "elites" have hidden themselves behind an
> impenetrable wall called python-dev. They wish not to speak with the
> peasants.

Funny you should bring that up.  The folks on python-dev are currently
making a substantial push to increase involvement in python core
development through the "Python Mentors" program.

Site here:

    http://pythonmentors.com/

To quote from the site:

"""
The mission of the Python Core Mentor Program is to provide an open and
welcoming place to connect students, programmers – and anyone interested
in contributing to the Python Core development. This project is based on
the idea that the best way to welcome new people into any project is a
venue which connects them to a variety of mentors who can assist in
guiding them through the contribution process, including discussions on
lists such as python-dev, and python-ideas, the bug tracker, mercurial
questions, code reviews, etc.
"""

So anyone following along this thread, if you're interested in making a
genuine contribution to python as a language, this is a great time and
place to start.

  Ryan

--
Ryan Kelly