Guido rethinking removal of cmp from sort method

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Apr 4 19:25:25 EDT 2011

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 17:09:07 -0500, harrismh777 wrote:

>     Python(3) is a new language. It has many of the same characteristics
> of Python2, but will be more consistent, cleaner, leaner, more robust...
> and certainly loved more universally by more people the world over for
> centuries to come....    ;-)

Only if you define "language" so narrowly that Python 2.1 and Python 2.2
are also different languages, or CPython and Jython or IronPython.

I prefer to consider Python 2.7 and Python 3.x as different dialects of
the same language. There are a very few handful of incompatibilities,
most of which can be automatically resolved by the 2to3 fixers. To
describe them as different "languages" leaves no term to describe the
differences between (say) Python and Cobra:

http://cobra-language.com/docs/python/

let alone something like Python vs Forth.

--
Steven