Guido rethinking removal of cmp from sort method

harrismh777 harrismh777 at charter.net
Mon Apr 4 18:09:07 EDT 2011

rantingrick wrote:
> Yes and whilst that was a brilliant display of bombastic arrogance
> your statements miss the point completely.

> And what about the large steaming pile of elephant dung in
> the room your nose seems to be unable to smell?

> As we all know Python has experienced an explosion of usage over the
> past years, however i would say with the confusions of the Python2 to
> Python3 conversion, old tutorials, Ruby's competition, and just plain
> mis information in the wild we have cast deep into the throes of a
> internal Pythonic rejection-ism and now find ourselves teetering on
> the brink of full blown world wide Pythonic recession-ism unless we
> get this runaway ship under control very quickly.

oooh, ouch.

Sadly, there may be some truth in there...

... to play the advocate for a moment, as the client community we need
to get our heads around the motives of the development community. The
overall goal (it seems) is to make the Python language an 'ideal' that
is admittantly evolving over time. The frustrating thing for the rest of
us is that we now must develop code for two versions--- as well we must
not make assumptions about whether our code will port nicely to other
systems/platforms.  While this is frustrating, it is not an
insurmountable mountain of elephant dung... although, I found the
metaphor funny.   :)

    Python(3) is a new language. It has many of the same characteristics
of Python2, but will be more consistent, cleaner, leaner, more robust...
and certainly loved more universally by more people the world over for
centuries to come....    ;-)

    "Bring out yer dead...,"    "Bring out yer dead..."

:)