Python CPU

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Sat Apr 2 18:06:52 EDT 2011

"Brad" <hwfwguy at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:01bd055b-631d-45f0-90a7-229da4a9a362 at t19g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I've heard of Java CPUs. Has anyone implemented a Python CPU in VHDL
> or Verilog?

For what purpose, improved performance? In that case, there's still plenty
of scope for that on conventional CPUs.

The Java VM is fairly low level (I would guess, not being too familiar with
it), while the Python VM seems much higher level and awkward to implement
directly in hardware.

I don't think it's impossible, but the benefits probably would not match
those of improving, say, Cpython on conventional hardware. And if a Python
CPU couldn't also run non-Python code efficiently, then on a typical
workload with mixed languages, it could be much slower!

However, wasn't there a Python version that used JVM? Perhaps that might run
on a Java CPU, and it would be interesting to see how well it works.

--
Bartc