Python CPU

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Fri Apr 1 15:18:11 EDT 2011

On 4/1/2011 11:35 AM, Emile van Sebille wrote:
> On 4/1/2011 11:28 AM Emile van Sebille said...
>> On 4/1/2011 8:38 AM Brad said...
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I've heard of Java CPUs. Has anyone implemented a Python CPU in VHDL
>>> or Verilog?
>>>
>>> -Brad
>>

>> http://code.google.com/p/python-on-a-chip/
>
> Sorry - wrong url in the cut'n paste buffer -
>
> http://tsheffler.com/software/python/
>

>> Emile

    Neither of those is a hardware implementation of Python.
"Python on a chip" is a small Python-subset interpreter for
microcontrollers.  That could be useful if it's not too slow.

    Sheffler's software is a means for controlling and extending
Verilog simulations in Python.  (Often, you're simulating some
hardware at the gate level which interfaces with other existing
hardware, say a disk, which can be simulated at a much coarser
level.  Being able to write the simulator for the external devices
in Python is useful.)

				John Nagle