Python in Linux - barrier to Python 3.x

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 02:44:24 EDT 2010

On 09/22/10 02:44, Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
> Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:59:27 +0200
>> deets at web.de (Diez B. Roggisch) wrote:
>>>
>>> The problems explained are simply outdated and crippled python
>>> versions.
>>>
>>> And to me, a python version installed that has not the
>>> distutils module is *crippled*. You can rationalize that as much as you
>>> want through some package philosophy saying "we don't ship development
>>> related files", but to me a simple installation instruction that says
>>
>> comp.lang.python doesn't handle Linux packaging, so why don't you
>> complain to your distro instead? Ranting on this group has zero chance
>> of fixing the problem.
>
> comp.lang.python frequently deals with problems caused by this and other
> distro-related issues. Your are welcome to not participate on these
> discussions.
>
> The state of affairs isn't ideal, and there is improvement options on
> all sides. I'm just astonished that people seem to think that distros in
> general are better and should be left alone, than what a more python
> centric solution could be.

If your distro's package management system doesn't provide you with the
packages you need, then you have made the wrong choice of distro; it's
neither the fault of the distro, package manager, or python; the
distro's policies just does not suit your needs, and either you have
made the mistake of choosing that distro or the other distros are even
worse. Maybe it's time to evaluate whether staying in your current
distro is still beneficial, or it's more hassle than its worth, or if
you want to fix the distro's package manager in some way.

      Package Management Triangle

             reliability
               /     \
              / Pick  \
             /   any   \
            /    two    \
  simplicity ------------ configurability

Ubuntu's (and I believe Debian's) apt-get and Add/Remove Program is very
easy to use and stable, but there is not much configurability, you get
what your package manager gives you. Gentoo's Portage is extremely
configurable, it almost always gives you the latest versions and almost
all of the valid configurations allowed by upstream developer, but the
system is nowhere near simple, and every system you build using Portage
is basically untested system.