Python in Linux - barrier to Python 3.x

Diez B. Roggisch deets at web.de
Tue Sep 21 12:44:20 EDT 2010

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> writes:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:59:27 +0200
> deets at web.de (Diez B. Roggisch) wrote:
>>
>> The problems explained are simply outdated and crippled python
>> versions.
>>
>> And to me, a python version installed that has not the
>> distutils module is *crippled*. You can rationalize that as much as you
>> want through some package philosophy saying "we don't ship development
>> related files", but to me a simple installation instruction that says
>
> comp.lang.python doesn't handle Linux packaging, so why don't you
> complain to your distro instead? Ranting on this group has zero chance
> of fixing the problem.

comp.lang.python frequently deals with problems caused by this and other
distro-related issues. Your are welcome to not participate on these
discussions.

The state of affairs isn't ideal, and there is improvement options on
all sides. I'm just astonished that people seem to think that distros in
general are better and should be left alone, than what a more python
centric solution could be.

Diez