Too much code - slicing

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Sun Sep 19 22:32:17 EDT 2010

AK <andrei.avk at gmail.com> writes:

> On 09/19/2010 07:18 PM, Gregory Ewing wrote:
>> AK wrote:
>>
>>> Afaik the idea is that you can read a novel at the speed of half a page
>>> a second or so and understand it to the same extent as people who'd read
>>> at a normal rate.
>>
>> I've never understood why anyone would *want* to read a
>> novel that fast, though. For me at least, reading a novel
>> is something done for pleasure, so reading it at ten times
>> normal speed would waste 90% of the benefit.
>>

> One definite advantage would be that if, say, it takes you 70 pages of a
> given novel to figure out whether you like it enough to continue, you'd
> want to read those pages in 2 minutes rather than an hour.

Heh, to me speed reading those 70 pages in a very short while,
concluding that it's a good book, and start over again would be quite
the spoiler. Do you fast forward movies as well?

I do speed read but not the books I read for pleasure.

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
    Freelance Perl & Python Development: http://castleamber.com/