Too much code - slicing

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Sun Sep 19 19:32:09 EDT 2010

On 2010-09-19, Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> AK wrote:
>> Afaik the idea is that you can read a novel at the speed of half a page
>> a second or so and understand it to the same extent as people who'd read
>> at a normal rate.

> I've never understood why anyone would *want* to read a
> novel that fast, though. For me at least, reading a novel
> is something done for pleasure, so reading it at ten times
> normal speed would waste 90% of the benefit.

I get pleasure from the story, not from the time spent.  Reading faster
means I get more stories.  Same thing, to some extent, with programming.
I could easily spend much more time writing some programs by switching
to a language ill-suited to them (say, using C for heavy string
manipulation, or PHP for anything), but that wouldn't mean I had more fun,
it would mean my fun was spread out over a longer period of time, and might
well cross over to no-longer-fun.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net