pylint -- should I just ignore it sometimes?

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Thu Oct 21 14:08:40 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-21, Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmichel at sequans.com> wrote:
> In the middle of thousand lines of code, when you are reviewing or
> debugging, the later is better TMO, the point is that x, y, z = is only
> easy to read during the assignement.

Bull.

> x, y, z = p.nextpoint()
> [snip a dozen of code line]
> y += 1 # hmmm ??

Uh, no.

That is not confusing at all.  That is CLEAR AND TRANSPARENT.

> yCoordinate += 1

In the real world, this will take substantially longer for the reader
to comprehend.  You've just taken the important information (y), and
hidden it behind 10 times as much UNIMPORTANT information.  You're
forcing them to read 11 characters, 10 of which are just tagging,
and made it much easier for them to miss that the "y" here should have
been an "x", because the word is 90% correct anyway...

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net