EOF while scanning triple-quoted string literal

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Sat Oct 16 10:13:35 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-16, Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 20:07:37 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> Nor I, which is why I was confused by the statement that in the "Unix
>> world" a lot of programs misbehaved when presented with files whose
>> names contained a null byte.
>
> That's not what I said. I said, TRY to create a file with a null byte in
> the name, the implication being that you *can't do it*.

You're right.  I missed that.

> Okay, I accept that I muddied the water by also mentioning file names
> with newlines in them, which can be created but cause havoc. But the
> distinction was clear in my head, and if I can't expect people to
> read my mind, then the terrorists will have won!

No, you were clear enough, I just misread it as Unix programs don't
deal well with filenames containing newlines or null bytes.

It was all much ado about nothing -- except I've learned that some of
the more common underlying Unix filesystems _do_ allow null bytes in
filenames, but the intervening API won't.

--
Grant