Is there a Python Version Manager?

TerryP bigboss1964 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 23:09:59 EDT 2010

Having STFW and come up empty, I'm wondering if anyone knows if there
is an analogue to the Ruby Version Manager <http://
rvm.beginrescueend.com/> in the Python world? rvm is essentially a
tool that can install several Ruby implementations side by side and
easily hot swap them in your shell session. Check a few pages of their
website and you will get the idea. In the python world, the closest I
have seen to rvm, are tools that just archive a (C)Python distribution
around your project. Not what I need.

Why I ask, is after years of using systems that package *modern*
versions of Python, I'm now stuck with a work station running 2.4 as
latest and greatest! Personally I draw the line at supporting "2.6,
3.1, and otherwise YMMV" -- that means building and maintaining my own
builds outside the OS'es package management is going to become a
reality real soon, not to mention a pain. So something like rvm but
for Python, would be a real life saver in my near future.

and if writing a Python analogue to rvm is necessary, would anyone be
interested in helping with such a project?