Program, Application, and Software

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Nov 18 10:41:51 EST 2010

On 2010-11-18, Martin Gregorie <martin at address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 01:16:34 +0000, MRAB wrote:
>
>> I'd probably say that a "script" is a program which is normally not
>> interactive: you just set it up, start it, and let it do its work (a
>> "batch script", for example). It's also written in a language primarily
>> designed for convenience rather than speed (Want to manipulate large
>> chunks of text? Fine! :-)).
>>
> I use 'script' to refer to programs written in languages that don't have
> a separate compile phase which must be run before the program can be
> executed. IOW Python and Perl programs are scripts aloing with programs
> written as awk, Javascript and bash scripts.

I use 'script' to refer to programs that are used to automate things
that would otherwise be done by a person typing commands.

IOW, what I write using Python aren't scripts.  They're programs.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! All of life is a blur
                                  at               of Republicans and meat!