Program, Application, and Software

Martin Gregorie martin at address-in-sig.invalid
Thu Nov 18 09:21:47 EST 2010

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 01:16:34 +0000, MRAB wrote:

> I'd probably say that a "script" is a program which is normally not
> interactive: you just set it up, start it, and let it do its work (a
> "batch script", for example). It's also written in a language primarily
> designed for convenience rather than speed (Want to manipulate large
> chunks of text? Fine! :-)).

I use 'script' to refer to programs written in languages that don't have
a separate compile phase which must be run before the program can be
executed. IOW Python and Perl programs are scripts aloing with programs
written as awk, Javascript and bash scripts.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK