How to test if a module exists?

r0g aioe.org at technicalbloke.com
Thu Nov 11 14:45:28 EST 2010

On 11/11/10 11:28, Mark Wooding wrote:
> r0g<aioe.org at technicalbloke.com>  writes:
>
>> Really? I get a metric butt-ton of spam every day to this address.
>
> I'm sure I get sent a lot of spam (though I don't know for sure -- see
> below).  But I don't think much of it comes from Usenet harvesters any
> more.
>
>> Right now it simply filtered by address straight into my recycle bin,
>> I suppose if it ever becomes burdensome or starts to choke my
>> bandwidth I'll tell my mailserver to bounce it :)
>
> Don't do that.  Get your mailserver to /reject/ spam during SMTP with a
> 5xx code.  Bouncing spam is really bad because it implicitly assumes
> that the envelope sender address is good.  Spam rarely has a valid
> envelope sender.  If you're lucky, the envelope sender is simply
> invalid, and you'll end up with a double-bounce when your mailserver
> finds out.  If you're unlucky, the envelope sender is a /valid/ address
> from the spammer's list and some innocent victim will end up receiving
> your bounce (this is called `backscatter').
>
> -- [mdw]

Whoops, I forgot 'bounce' has a clear meaning in the world email, I
meant reject. Having suffered plenty of backscatter back in the day I
wouldn't want to wish that on anyone. Thankfully I haven't had any of
that in a few years now. I guess a lot more people are using Domainkeys
and SPF these days.

Roger