[OT] Usenet and email address exposure (was: How to test if a module exists?)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Nov 10 08:10:10 EST 2010

r0g <aioe.org at technicalbloke.com> writes:

> You use your main address on USENET rather than a junk one!?

Yes. The amount of time spent keeping my spam filter well-trained
is far smaller than the amount I'd lose faffing around with countless
throwaway email addresses.

I have to expose my address on the internet anyway for it to be useful.
Hiding it from Usenet isn't going to gain me anything useful.

> Obfuscated or not that's either brave or foolhardy!

I haven't noticed much spam to email addresses I use on Usenet, and the
spam filter catches it all. But regardless, a well-trained spam filter
allows me to continue using a consistent, working email address.

--
 \       “Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except |
  `\        for that rare story of which you happen to have first-hand |