Compare source code

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Nov 5 15:34:28 EDT 2010

Tim Harig wrote:
> The use of whitespace was a stylistic change and
> stylistic holy wars exist because it is almost impossible to prove that
> any reasonable style has benefit over another.  That whitespace causes
> issues is verifiable.  I find it hard to concluded that that whitespace
> based syntax is superior when it tells us that we cannot use thousands
> of otherwise useful tools that other langauges manage to work with.
> I find it hard to select a matter of taste with no verifiable benefit
> over a verifiable disadvantage that happens to strike many people.

The verifiable benefit for me is ease of use, ease of thought, ease of
typing... I realize these are not benefits for everyone, but they are
for some -- and I would venture a guess that the ease of thought benefit
is one of the primary reasons Python is popular.  I am definitely one of
those that think indentation based structure is one of Python's best
features.

I do acknowledge that if you don't think that way, it can be major
hassle, and I sympathize.

~Ethan~