Compare source code

Tim Harig usernet at ilthio.net
Fri Nov 5 14:25:44 EDT 2010

On 2010-11-05, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-11-05, Tim Harig <usernet at ilthio.net> wrote:

> And how does that affect a Python program?  The same as it does a C
> program.

I wasn't making any statement of C versus Python in this thread.  Those
have been covered elsewhere.  I was responding to your assertion:

	It exists because so many people change whitespace intentionally
	in C source code because no two C programmers seem able to agree
	on how to format code.	Diff -b allows you to attempt to ignore
	semantically null stylistic changes made by programmers.

That is clearly wrong.  If a C programmer changes the format of the code,
it is almost universally true that they will make changes that affect more
then just the whitespace on a single line.  Diff will register these
changes even with the -b option.  I provided a couple of common scenerios
that are more likely to have justified the -b option.