Compare source code

Tim Harig usernet at ilthio.net
Fri Nov 5 14:13:44 EDT 2010

On 2010-11-04, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 19:37:25 +0000 (UTC)
> Tim Harig <usernet at ilthio.net> wrote:
>> On 2010-11-04, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net> wrote:
>> You are the one who seems to be on a crusade against against braces.  It
>
> You totally misunderstand me.  I am not on a crusade of any sort.  I am

I appologize that I confused your name with Steven D'Aprano; but, your
positions are pretty much the same.

> care about.  If no one was on a crusade to convince people that
> indentation as syntax (can we call is IAS from now on?) was evil then I
> wouldn't be posting anything at all on the subject.  I am being totally
> reactionary here.

Neither of you are really adding anything to the conversation other then to
assert that you like whitespace syntax and that the problems do not effect
you.  Good for you; but, that doesn't help the people who are finding that
it presents problems.

>> would seem to me, that if you want people to accept that white space
>> formatting is superior, that you would be looking for a simple way to solve
>> the white space mangling problem.
>
> I might if it was a problem for me.

Good for you but telling us that doesn't really help those that do.  Your
stance is based an a stylistic preference.  Holy wars around style continue
to exist because, in most cases, it is almost impossible to prove the
advantages of one reasonable style over another.

It is, however, verifiable that white space syntax causes issues with a
large number of common tools.  I am a man of science.  When choosing
between the intangible and verifiable, I choose the verifable truth.

>> The world is full of broken tools that many of us have to use; but, why
>> should we accept that your choice is superior when other choices manage to
>> work with these tools without issues.
>
> You don't have to accept anything.  Choose your own tools.  I happen to
> choose Python and the tools that I choose to use work fine for me.

It is simply hard for me to accept that your solution is better when
it is telling us that we have to abandon thousands of tools that other
solutions manage to work with without difficulty.