Allow multiline conditions and the like

Steven D'Aprano steve-REMOVE-THIS at cybersource.com.au
Mon Nov 1 03:51:50 EDT 2010

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 23:02:21 -0700, Yingjie Lan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a mini-proposal I piggy-tailed in the other topic:
>
> Allow the conditions in the if-, elif-, while-, for-, and with-clauses
> to span multiple lines
[...]
>    also, if we don't allow it, people just have to use
> parenthesis around the expressions to make that happen.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

That is kind of like saying "We should allow people to speed through red
traffic lights, because if we don't, they'll just wait for the light to
turn green!". Er, yes, and the problem is?

If you need a multi-line conditional, wrap it in parentheses.

--
Steven