where are the program that are written in python?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri May 21 08:37:14 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 11:37 +0100, Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
> On 05/21/10 11:21, Deep_Feelings wrote:
> > however by having a look at this page http://wiki.python.org/moin/Applications
> > i could not see many programs written in python (i will be interested
> > more in COMMERCIAL programs written in python ). and to be honest ,i
> > tried some of the programs in that list and all the programs that i
> > tried either dead projects or so buggy !

Most projects are dead projects; that is just the natural state of
things regardless of language.  Just browse Sourceforge for awhile.

> It's a wiki, if anybody is interested they could change the page, I
> actually have never looked at it.

I've looked it over, there is some interesting stuff.  But why
contribute a story when you could be coding on your project!  A
perennial problem. :)

> > 1- where are the programs that is written in python ?
> > 2- python is high productivity language : why there are no commercial
> > programs written in python ?
> > is python a valid practical programming language ?
> > why it is not used in commercial software ?

I suppose it depends on your use of the term "used".  It is used a *lot*
in the SOA / Workflow world - in the form of Jython.  That provides a
very nice way to extend Java applications [it is still Python!  Python
is a language, not a runtime].

In general to 'core' of large applications are, IMO, easier to maintain
in the more rigid statically typed languages as the toolchain can do
more work for you.  Of course someone here will have a fit about that
statement.

> > please don't mention programs where python was used as a glue

Why not?

And what about Gwibber? Zeitgeist? BitTorrent? Zope/Plone?  Those are
all certainly "real" applications.  Zope is almost an industry unto
itself.

>  ,those programs are not actually written in python.

I think your distinction is not valid.  "glue" is a vital part of every
enterprise.  And the sophistication of some "glue" certainly surpasses
many "applications".

<http://hackerboss.com/how-to-distribute-commercial-python-applications/> is an interesting read.  Certainly the 'packaging' mechanism is less end-user friendly than .NET.  I personally would not choose to create an end-user application in Python; but it has become my first choice for server-side development.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>