where are the program that are written in python?

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org
Fri May 21 06:37:42 EDT 2010

On 05/21/10 11:21, Deep_Feelings wrote:
> python is not a new programming language ,it has been there for the
> last .... 15+ years or so ? right ?
Yeah about the same as Java

> however by having a look at this page http://wiki.python.org/moin/Applications
> i could not see many programs written in python (i will be interested
> more in COMMERCIAL programs written in python ). and to be honest ,i
> tried some of the programs in that list and all the programs that i
> tried either dead projects or so buggy !
It's a wiki, if anybody is interested they could change the page, I
actually have never looked at it.

> 1- where are the programs that is written in python ?
> 2- python is high productivity language : why there are no commercial
> programs written in python ?
>
> is python a valid practical programming language ?
> why it is not used in commercial software ?
My experience is that Python is the FreeBSD of the programming
languages. For example, the average user knows mac and windows, the
average admin knows there is also something like linux, and the average
linux admin knows there is also something like BSD.

> please don't mention programs where python was used as a glue ,those
> programs are not actually written in python.
Python is used in a lot in custom applications, while off the shelve
software needs a lot of buzzwords to shift any market interest.
I have participated in a couple of 'pure' Python programs, used by
Airbus, Randstad and a whole fleet of small firms. But yes, off the
shelve software seems to be either written in Java or any .net equivalent.

> any help will be appreciated
>
> thank you

hth
--