What's the matter with docs.python.org?

David Bolen db3l.net at gmail.com
Thu May 20 17:11:55 EDT 2010

Christian Mertes <cmertes at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de> writes:

> On Mi, 2010-05-19 at 16:42 -0700, Aahz wrote:
>> Also, I think you need to pass the host HTTP header to access
>> docs.python.org
>
> Look, I don't really want to read Python docs via telnet. I basically
> wanted to point out that there is strange behaviour and someone might
> feel responsible and look into it.

I think the point is that if you are going to use telnet as a
diagnostic tool you need to more accurately represent the browser.  I
just tried and using the Host header renders a completely different
response than not (presumably because the server is using virtual
hosting).  With an appropriate "Host: docs.python.org" you get the
actual documentation home page, without it you get the "page has
moved" text you saw.

It may or may not have anything to do with the original problem, but
it probably does explain the response you got when you tried to use
telnet as a test tool.

-- David