Jython as an alternative to Python

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Mar 29 14:02:04 EDT 2010

Tim Johnson wrote:
> FYI: I've used python for years primarily on *nix platforms and
> primarily for web programming. I'm considering studying a scripting
> language that uses and accesses java. My first obvious choice would by
> jython. The following questions could probably be answered by pointers
> to previous discussions, docs or blogs.
>
> 1)What can jython *do* that cannot be done by python.

Import Java classes and instantiate them, calling their methods from Python.

> 2)What is the current state of jython as a development community?
>   I.E. is it being upgraded, updated etc.

It's currently just about at 2.6, and the developers are committed to a
port to 3.x (probably 3.2, I suspect) but haven't yet committed to a
timescale. Two of the main developers have just started work at Sauce
Labs, and this may affect their availability.

> 3)Is the jython community "bound to" the python community?
>   I.E. I don't think python is going to "go away", what happens if
> 	jython development "stalls".

The PSF has already once provided a grant to keep Jython moving forward
when it looked like it might stall. I don't know whether this is
inevitable in the future, but *I* think Jython should be kept in the
mainstream.

> 4)If someone in this community would consider a java scripting language
> other than jython, what would it be? And why?

Pass.

> 5)Are there issues installing and deploying jython on shared webservers?
>   I.E. Assuming that a dedicated server is one that I have full access to and
> 	can install what I please, and a shared server would not afford me
> 	such access; is there any trend for "server farms" to install jython?

I don't know. A survey of Python-friendly hosting companies would be
useful. You could use

  http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonHosting

as a starting point, and publish the data you discover.

regards
 Steve
See PyCon Talks from Atlanta 2010  http://pycon.blip.tv/