Jython as an alternative to Python

Tim Johnson tim at johnsons-web.com
Mon Mar 29 12:40:23 EDT 2010

FYI: I've used python for years primarily on *nix platforms and
primarily for web programming. I'm considering studying a scripting
language that uses and accesses java. My first obvious choice would by
jython. The following questions could probably be answered by pointers
to previous discussions, docs or blogs.

1)What can jython *do* that cannot be done by python.

2)What is the current state of jython as a development community?
  I.E. is it being upgraded, updated etc.

3)Is the jython community "bound to" the python community?
  I.E. I don't think python is going to "go away", what happens if
	jython development "stalls".

4)If someone in this community would consider a java scripting language
other than jython, what would it be? And why?

5)Are there issues installing and deploying jython on shared webservers?
  I.E. Assuming that a dedicated server is one that I have full access to and
	can install what I please, and a shared server would not afford me
	such access; is there any trend for "server farms" to install jython?

Thanks
--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web.com